Estrogen is important to consider when looking at Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT). Testosterone can be converted to Estrogen in a process called aromatization. This process occurs primarily in fat tissue and increases as we age. The ratio between Estrogen and Testosterone is very important. Too much Estrogen can:
- diminish male sexuality
- increase risk factors for heart disease and prostate issues
- block action of Testosterone even if it is replaced to optimum levels
This is the most common way we reduce Estrogen levels for men at True Balance. Arimidex prevents aromatization (blocks conversion of Testosterone to Estrogen) and normalizes the Testosterone to Estrogen ratio. It is generally taken once per week, although doses can vary according to each individual’s need.
There are other natural methods that can be used to reduce estrogen levels. Although, not as effective as arimidex they are still helpful in shifting the ratio and should still be considered especially in patients unable to tolerate Arimidex.
- Zinc / Copper Balance Supplement (Approximately 50mg a day i.e. 1 capsule-3 times per day) Zinc inhibits levels of aromatase. (Zinc should not be taken alone, but in conjunction with copper, to prevent the depletion of copper.)
- Saw Palmetto (Approximately 320mg, 2 times per day) most well-known benefit is reducing prostate enlargement, but can also suppress estrogen production and also can lower DHT levels. High DHT levels can contribute to hair loss. Found in most prostate supplements.
- DIM (Approximately 125mg per day) one of the beneficial ingredients found in cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli and cauliflower, stimulates the burning off of excess estrogen.
- Lose weight In both women and men, fat cells are full of aromatase and store plentiful quantities of estrogen. As the pounds fall off, so will estrogen conversion activity and many of the symptoms of andropause will vanish as well.
- Decrease alcohol consumption Alcohol significantly inhibits the clearance of estrogen from the bloodstream and also decreases zinc levels.
Even More Suggestions
To improve the Estrogen: Testosterone balance the following will help:
- Vitamin K2 (Approximately 10mg of MK-4 and 2mg of MK-7 per day)
- Resveratrol (250mg/day)
- Niacin (500mg/day)
- Cruciferous vegetables
Try to avoid the following when POSSIBLE as they worsen the Estrogen/Testosterone imbalance.
- Soy products
- High dose Vitamin E
- General dietary deficiencies/malnutrition
- Abusive substances (ex. Alcohol, narcotics, marijuana)
- Pain & Anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS, acetaminophen, aspirin), Antibiotics, Antifungal medications, Cholesterol lowering drugs, Antidepressants, Antipsychotic medicines, Heart and blood pressure medicine, Calcium channel blockers, Spironolactone, Diuretics
- Myomin (2 to 4 capsules per day) Blend of chinese herbs that inhibits levels of aromatase. We have found this to be the best option for those that can not tolerate the Arimidex.