Almost everybody suffers from acne. The Mayo Clinic estimates that 75% of people between the ages of 11 and 30 experience it. For some people, this is just a minor inconvenience. Others, though, may deal with the unsightly, painful, and embarrassing blemishes for years.
There are lifestyle choices and over-the-counter products that can help treat and prevent acne, but these are often insufficient. The surest way to get rid of acne is by receiving treatment from a medical professional. At True Balance Longevity Med Spa, Dr. Ron Brown has nearly two decades of experience treating mild to severe acne using a plethora of methods. Here's a guide to what causes acne and how Dr. Brown can help give you clear, beautiful skin.
What Causes Acne?
Acne forms when oil, dead skin, or bacteria clog the pores on your skin. Every pore is the opening of a follicle, which contains an oil gland. The gland releases oil that travels up the follicle and onto your skin. This is part of the essential process of keeping your skin soft.
Acne develops when something goes wrong with this process, such as:
- Your glands produce too much oil
- Dead skin cells get stuck in your pores
- Bacteria builds up in your pores
Numerous factors make you more likely to develop acne:
- Hormonal changes during puberty or pregnancy
- Having parents who had acne
- A diet high in refined sugars, such as soda and sweets, and carbohydrates, such as bread and chips
Different Forms of Acne
Acne can manifest in many different ways:
- Whiteheads: closed, clogged pores
- Blackheads: open, clogged pores
- Papules: small, red, tender bumps
- Pustules: papules that have filled with pus
- Nodules: Large, solid, painful bumps deep beneath the surface of your skin
- Cystic lesions: painful, pus-filled bumps beneath the skin that can scar
How Dr. Brown Can Treat Your Acne
Dr. Brown offers numerous non-surgical, minimally invasive acne treatments that can restore your clear skin:
- Facials: Dr. Brown performs a variety of facials to cleanse your pores and exfoliate your skin using different types of masks.
- Chemical peels: A chemical solution is applied to your skin, which creates a minor, controlled injury that stimulates collagen production and causes your dead skin to peel off. The new skin that replaces it is smoother, clearer, healthier, and less wrinkled.
- Microdermabrasion: This procedure uses a device tipped with a medical-grade mineral crystal or diamond to gently scrub away the outer layer of skin to eliminate dead skin cells, unclog pores, and allow new, healthy skin to grow.
- Light therapy: Brown uses a blue-violet light that penetrates the skin and kills acne-causing bacteria.
- Microneedling: Brown uses a device that penetrates your skin at predetermined depths with microscopic needles. These cause minor wounds to your skin that stimulate collagen production and healing. Microneedling can also treat acne scars, in addition to acne itself.
Schedule Your Acne Treatment Consultation Today
You don't have to put up with acne just because it's common. Dr. Brown can help you decide which treatment is best to give you the skin you've always wanted. He serves Sherwood Park, Spruce Grove, St. Albert, and nearby areas of Edmonton. Call (780) 306-4331 today to set up a consultation.